Wednesday, January 28, 2009

The Spirit of Island Living

by Erin Ferucci
Celebrity Lifestyle Designer


Over the summer I was vacationing on Sanibel Island off the coast of Florida and I had a wonderful field trip to a Shell Museum there. Everything was so beautiful to look at. I was impressed by the natural color of the shells.
It was incredibly interesting, I loved being there.
One of the things that I love about Island Living is how relaxed the pace is. At the museum they had these really intricate mosaics that were made by sailors in the 1800's for their girlfriends and wives while they were at sea. They would make a design using shells. Sometimes they would spell out "I love you" or have the couple's initials. It was really special to see how they communicated in a time period where there was no email or instant messages. In the 1900's it was popular to take the mosaics and lay glass over them creating a unique side table or other piece of furniture. It was touching to see the way a family could preserve a love note.
The shells were an inspiration and so was the beach. A friend and I lunched at the impeccably designed South Seas Island Resort. It was lovely, with a fabulous eye to being all inclusive, perfect for families. If you have the chance to go to Sanibel Island you won't want to miss it.

0 comments: