Thursday, December 18, 2008

Fabric Art

Have commitment issues? Can't decide what to frame on your walls, because you don't want to be locked into a design theme? Here's a great solution, frame vintage inspired fabric in simple, cheap and cheerful frames. Hang them on the wall and when it's time for a new flavor simply change the fabric.
I got this great idea visiting the new Los Angeles Quadrille showroom the other day. They are currently featuring vintage inspired fabrics from the 50's, 60's and 70's, from artists such as Alan Campbell. The fabrics have all been updated in a modern color palate with vibrant colors printed on linen. The effect is stunning, flamboyant, bright, bold and happy prints.
The designs were so fresh and current that I found myself longing to design a coastal home that is as bright and playful as these fabrics. They made me want to design a Coastal Beach home around them. Alan Campbell inspired prints were included. I am a great fan of Alan Campbell's. There was a great article in Domino in August on Campbell's work.

The showroom at Quadrille had raffia lined walls with cheap and cheerful frames of the fabric displayed in then. They were lovely. I found myself thinking ...What a great idea! Have commitment issues? This is the perfect solution, you can change the fabric in the frames every week.

0 comments: